Friday, July 22, 2011

A New Creative Outlet: Ceramics

One thing about turning your hobby into your job, is that you no longer have a hobby. I used to come home from work and make prints just for fun, but now that I do that all day, I no longer want to spend my free time printmaking. So, I needed a new creative outlet, and signed up for a ceramics class.




I took ceramics in high school, and spent a few hours in the course of four years doing it in college, so my skills are minimal. I was nervous before the first class that I wouldn't know what I was doing (it's geared towards people with an above-beginner skill level), but it is kind of like riding a bike. Once I had the ball of clay in my hand, it came back to me.



A selection of pots I made during the first class; some bowls, some flowerpots, and some undecided vessels that will find a use once they make it home.







At first my goal was just to relax and make a few pots, but now I have a long list of things I want to make, from pitchers to noodle bowls. There are a few being fired right now, but the best part isn't having a cupboard full of new ceramic bowls, it's having a creative outlet at the end of the day, that isn't for sale, isn't for work, and is just for fun.

2 comments:

  1. ooh nice! But aren't you the teensiest bit tempted to go into production, printing your lovely designs on them, to sell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I'm sure that will happen eventually, so for now I will just enjoy it! The wheels in my head have been turning though...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...