Thursday, April 7, 2011

Colorblock Quilts

I love quilts, but it is rare to see something that goes beyond the fabric-store-floral look. When I found these quilts by Kim Eichler-Messmer, I was amazed at the way she uses dyes and shibori techniques to create these amazing patterns and colors. The gradients are inspired by paint chips, and she pulls off the designs beautifully. I think it's the simplicity that makes them stand out from other quilts, although you can tell that this kind of simplicity takes hundreds of hours to pull off.



I love the way the patterns and solids are coordinated in the quilt below, and the design seems effortless and complicated at the same time. Even the quilt stitching is based on the shibori pattern.
You can see Kim's full line of beautiful quilts right here. I can't wait to see what she comes out with next!

All photos via kimem on Etsy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...